Dear Parents of New Transfer Students:
Greetings and welcome to the University of Virginia community. We are pleased that your daughters and sons have chosen UVa as the place to continue their studies.
Summer Orientation marks the beginning of your student’s entry into the University. Three sessions are planned specifically for transfer students:
- July 21 (Session E): Third-year transfers in the College of Arts & Sciences and students transferring into the schools of Education or Nursing
- July 22 (Session F): Second-year transfers in the College of Arts & Sciences
- August 20-22 (Session H): Students transferring into the schools of Architecture, Commerce, and Engineering and Applied Science
A Parent Orientation program occurs concurrently with the student program. We hope you will plan to join us to learn more about the University and to meet the many individuals who will be part of this journey with your student. The deadline to register for Summer Orientation is June 2, and your student is responsible for the registration process. Details are available on the Summer Orientation website.
Beyond Orientation, we look forward to your involvement in programs planned especially for parents and family members. Family Weekend, programs and activities in your region sponsored by UVaClubs, athletic events, travel programs, publications, and the University’s website all offer avenues for you to stay informed about the University of Virginia and become an active part of this community.
If your daughter or son provided your email address on the application for admission, then we will plan to use this address in sending you periodic updates throughout the academic year. These updates usually highlight health and safety issues, remind you about key dates, such as flu immunization clinics, and summarize other topics that may be of special interest. Your email address will be used only for communication from my office and other UVa offices interacting with parents. Anyone in your family can sign up for these Student Affairs updates by going to http://hoosonline.virginia.edu/parentsemail.
A few other ways to be involved as a parent:
- If you would like to receive a daily email with news updates from the University, please go to www.virginia.edu/uvatoday and click on the orange "Subscribe Now" link at the bottom of the page. This daily (weekday) email will keep you informed of the many initiatives and activities at the University.
- As a reminder, you can always visit the University’s main website at www.virginia.edu for the most up-to-date information on activities and events on the Grounds. In times of emergency or inclement weather, the home page will be updated frequently.
- UVa Alerts notifies registered users via text message when the University community faces imminent threat from a hazard. Since this system requires a computing ID, only students and staff are eligible to register for accounts, but students may add parent contacts to their accounts. Encourage your student to sign up for UVa Alerts.
- Please mark your calendar for Family Weekend this fall—October 31-November 2. We recommend making hotel reservations as soon as possible since local accommodations fill up quickly. The Family Weekend website provides more details and will be updated this fall with the complete schedule.
We deeply value the support of parents in the educational process. Without question, your influence and guidance will remain strong as your student meets new challenges, grows academically and socially, and develops an expanding sense of independence.
I look forward to seeing you this summer at Orientation. We hope this will be the beginning of a rewarding new chapter in your family life as you join the University of Virginia community.
Patricia M. Lampkin
Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer