To Fellow Members of the University Community:
We are thrilled to personally invite you to the 17th Annual Lighting of the Lawn this Thursday, November 30, from 7 to 10 p.m. As this fall semester comes to an end, we hope you will join us in celebrating one of the University's most cherished traditions.
Lighting of the Lawn began with a group of students gathering on the Lawn, personally plugging in strands of lights to bring light to a dark time and to bring the University together in remembrance after September 11, 2001. Since the first LOTL 17 years ago, the event has evolved greatly, now including an amazing light show alongside fantastic student performances, with thousands of students and community members in attendance. However, at its core, LOTL has a story of unity, compassion, resilience, and of light. We encourage you all to join us in celebrating our theme this year: "Be The Light."
UVA GUIDEBOOK APP
For a complete list of receptions, performers, and a livestream of the entire event, please download the new Lighting of the Lawn app. This app will help you navigate the new security protocols, Pavilion reception locations, and performance schedule. Pavilion VIII and the middle of the Lawn will be open to the entire community with hot chocolate, cider, cookies, and warmth.
Please watch for any push notifications that may come from the UVA Guidebook app regarding traffic at security checkpoints, program updates, the poem reading, and other surprises you won't want to miss! Unlike previous years, please note the new security measures. Though the security will have no impact on the event itself other than materials brought onto the Lawn, it is important to arrive earlier than usual to see the light show.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT SECURITY
We know this heightened security is a new aspect of LOTL, but please note that student safety and overall security of the Lawn is a top priority for both the University and ourselves.
Please note the following security updates:
Metal detectors will be in place at entrances to the Lawn near Garrett Hall and Rouss Robertson; these will be the only opportunities for entrance to the event.
- Should you need to leave, re-admittance is allowed into the event.
There will be a separate metal detector line for bag check if you are coming from class (backpacks), but food and liquid are prohibited.
- Please note that this line will have a longer wait time.
- Food trucks will be available on the south end of the Lawn near the Homer Statue for students to buy food.
- You may bring an empty water bottle to fill up at one of the designated water stations at the event.
- The clear bag policy is in place, and similar to sporting events at UVA, prohibited items include: alcoholic beverages, animals (except service animals), folding chairs, umbrellas, tents, glass, sticks and poles (including athletic equipment), drones, weapons, fireworks, and explosives. Blankets for the Lawn are permitted.
We are excited to have you join us on the Lawn this Thursday and hope you have an amazing time!
Holly Stevens and Denny Smythe
Lighting of the Lawn, UVA