One of the key values we pride ourselves on at this University is a commitment to student self-governance. Student self-governance adds much to our community's distinct culture every day. From Class Councils and Student Council to Honor and UJC, student leaders are making their mark on the University and its future. If you would like to enrich the student experience here, you should consider running for an elected position in the upcoming 2018 Spring University-wide Elections.
If you are interested in running for an office, you must either attend one of the Candidate Information Sessions hosted by the University Board of Elections or take an online eligibility quiz. Thanks to all of those who have already attended one of our info sessions in the fall.
Additional Candidate Information Sessions will be held on:
- Thursday, Jan. 18, at 7 p.m. in Newcomb 376
- Monday, Jan. 22, at 7 p.m. in Newcomb 376
The online eligibility quiz must be completed by Thursday, Jan. 25, at 10 a.m. All the resources you need to prepare for it are on our website at www.UVAvote.com under the "Candidates" tab. Only those students that have either attended an information session or completed the online eligibility quiz will have access to the registration form that is required for candidacy.
If you decide to run for office, please make sure to:
- Use 7 Steps to Run for Office as a quick reference guide
- Go over the Candidate Information Packet
- Review the List of Electable Positions (Note: Some positions have additional requirements to certify your candidacy. Please read the descriptions closely for which you intend to run.)
- Study the Candidate Info Session PowerPoint
- Download the Elections Calendar
- Read through all of the Rules and Regulations
Candidate registration will begin at 10 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 29, and end at 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 2. The polls will open at 10 a.m. on Feb. 21 and close at 4 p.m. on Feb. 23.
This year, the University Board of Elections is hosting office hours for interested candidates with questions about the election process. These office hours will be held in Lawn Room 25 on Jan. 22, 23, and 24 from 2 to 4 p.m. More information also can be found on the University Board of Elections website and by contacting us at UBEfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Best wishes for a successful election,
Chair, University Board of Elections