On Wednesday, March 14, at 10 a.m., Student Council and faculty members are organizing a 17-minute departure from the University's normal operating schedule to gather on the Lawn-facing side of the Rotunda and remember the lives of all those who have lost their lives to gun violence in this last year at schools. Provost Katsouleas has informed faculty members of this walkout, although the decision to excuse absences or move exams/assignments to accommodate this event ultimately rests with each professor. At the walkout, many students will be wearing orange t-shirts, the color of gun-violence prevention, that read #ENOUGH on the front. If you would like to purchase one of these shirts, please fill out this form.
Additional Gun Violence Prevention Events:
- Minority Rights Coalition Solidarity March to End Gun Violence: Wednesday, March 14, from 6 to 8 p.m., Amphitheater
- Gun Sense – Discussion + Action on Gun Violence: Monday, March 19, 6:30 p.m., Maury 209
- March for Our Lives Charlottesville: Saturday, March 24, from 2 to 4 p.m., Sprint Pavilion
March for Our Lives Washington, D.C.: Saturday, March 24, from 12 to 3 p.m., Pennsylvania Avenue between 3rd Street and 12th Street
- Here is an Excel sheet to match drivers and riders for the trip to D.C. If you would be willing to drive or would like a ride, you can coordinate logistics in this centralized forum.
- Disclaimer: Neither this rally nor these carpools are sponsored by Student Council or the University. Student Council has no responsibility over who drives or rides with whom, but is simply providing a platform for individuals to exchange information.
Below is a Facebook cover photo for the event if you would like to advertise the walkout. Student safety must remain our University's first priority; you can review the University's Weapon Policy online. If you have questions, comments, or concerns about this message, the walkout, or future events on the matter of gun-violence prevention, please reach out to email@example.com or visit Sarah during her office hours on Tuesday afternoons between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. in the Student Activities Center, Office 149B.
We hope to see many of you on the Lawn on Wednesday morning.
Student Council President
Assistant Professor in Music