Roles and Functions of the Student Member
The Board of Visitors has maintained a position for the Student Member since 1983. The student may be either a graduate or undergraduate student of the University. The term of the Student Member is one year, beginning June 1. More than anything else, the Student Member serves as a soundboard for the Board of Visitors with regard to issues that affect students at the University. Although the Student Member does not have a vote on the Board, full members consider his or her voice equally among the opinions of others. Consequently, the Student Member must actively assess and predict the general student reaction to the Board's decisions.
Applications are being accepted for the Student Representative on the Board of Visitors. Candidates must be full time students whose completion of degree requirements is at least one year beyond the date of appointment to the Board of Visitors.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Minimum Cumulative G.P.A. 2.5 and full-time student status.
- At the time of application, undergraduate students must be within one year of completing degree requirements (an undergraduate student can serve only during her or his final year of undergraduate study, and therefore s/he applies during the next-to-last year of study).
- At the time of application, graduate/professional students must be in at least their second year of study, or they must previously have attended UVA as an undergraduate.
- Meet deadline for application no later than 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017.
- Grant permission for the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer, or her designee, to access, print, and share with the selection committee an applicant’s unofficial transcript ("advising transcript") for the purposes of application review.
- All applications must be submitted online to the Office of the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer. Paper applications will not be accepted.
(all candidates should plan to hold the interview dates as noted)
- Wednesday, February 8, 2017, by 11:59 p.m. — Application due online
- Week of February 20-24, 2017 — Interviews of semi-finalists
- On or before Friday, February 24, 2017 — Notification of finalists (final interviews scheduled)
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017 — Interviews of finalists and selection of the student member by the Executive Committee of the Board of Visitors
Additional information is available from Susan Harris, Secretary to the Board of Visitors, at 434-924-7120. Students who apply for this position are encouraged to review the Manual of the Board of Visitors.
The current student member, Phoebe Willis, also would be happy to answer specific questions about the position. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application period for the 2017-18 Student Member of the Board of Visitors is now closed.