Dear students, staff, and faculty,
As we begin a new academic year, we want to make you aware of tools available to all members of the University community:
- accessibility.virginia.edu: A new website that aggregates information from across the University and Charlottesville community to assist individuals with disabilities in finding resources. Whether you are taking a class or attending a football game, you are likely to find information on this site that will help you participate and enjoy the event.
- SensusAccess: Need a Word document converted to an MP3 file so you can listen to it instead of read it? SensusAccess is an on-demand file format conversion tool. Several options for conversion are available.
- Report A Barrier: We don’t know what we don’t know! Although the University as a whole strives to create an inclusive and accessible environment, it is a big place, and sometimes we need help finding issues. Report A Barrier is an online tool that allows you to inform us of barriers to access – it could be the need for a curb cut, captioning of a video, or something else that prohibits access to an event or class.
- Read & Write: Read & Write offers reading, writing, studying, and research support tools that benefit individuals with learning disabilities, dyslexia or visual impairments, English Language Learners (ELL) and those learning English as a second language (ESL). Versions are available for both Windows and Mac.
The Student Disability Access Center (SDAC) is available to assist undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities explore accommodations in courses and University-sponsored programs.
Faculty and staff members with disabilities requesting accommodations should following procedures provided through the Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (EOCR). If there are questions, contact the University’s ADA Coordinator for assistance.
If you have any questions, please direct them to email@example.com. (Note that medical and other confidential information should not be sent to this address.)
Good luck as we start a new semester and academic year!
Accessibility Partners @ UVA:
- Barbara Zunder, Director, Student Disability Access Center
- Melvin Mallory, University ADA Coordinator
- Lori Kressin, Coordinator of Academic Accessibility