To Fellow Members of the University Community,
We are thrilled to invite you to the 18th Annual Lighting of the Lawn on Thursday, December 6, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. This year, the Light Show is beginning an hour earlier than years past. We hope you will join us in celebrating one of the University’s most cherished traditions.
In the wake of the attacks on September 11, 2001, a group of students gathered on the Lawn to bring the University community together for a moment of reflection. These same students had the bright idea to strand lights together in an attempt to eradicate the darkness. Since then, Lighting of the Lawn (LOTL) has grown immensely, with a cappella and dance performances and a student-made light show.
This year, we’re excited to announce that there will be an Open Reception on the South Lawn with food trucks, a photo booth, and a whole lot more. While LOTL continues to be an evening for celebration, it is also, more importantly, a moment for reflection. We encourage you to join us in celebrating our theme: “Brighter Together.” Because we are Brighter Together, we hope you’ll read and adhere to the Lighting of the Lawn event norms, which will ensure an atmosphere of inclusion and mutual respect. We would also like to invite you to Submit a Goal for the next 200 years of UVA to commemorate the Bicentennial. Goals will be on display at Lighting of the Lawn with the hopes of recognizing how we are Brighter Together.
Security Protocols Include
- Walk-through metal detectors will be located on the North Plaza of the Rotunda, Garrett Hall Sidewalk, and Rouss/Robertson Hall Sidewalk. These will be the only opportunities for entrance to the event. Should you need to leave, re-admittance is permitted.
- Restrooms will be available in Patterson, Key and McGuffey alleys.
- Specific lines for individuals entering with a bag or backpack will be located at each entrance for search by event personnel. In order to expedite the security process we recommend you come without a bag.
- ADA access will be available at the Northwest Lawn entrance, between Pavillion I and the Rotunda.
- Empty water bottles are permitted and can be filled at the water filling station on the South Lawn.
- Prohibited items include:
- Liquids, including all beverages; folding chairs; tents; glass; sticks and poles (including athletic equipment); drones; weapons, fireworks, explosives; and animals (other than service animals).
- An alternate viewing location will be available in the Newcomb Theatre.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to respond to this email. We are so excited to have you join us on the Lawn this Thursday, and we hope you have an amazing time!
Katie Mendenhall & Gordon Bailey
Lighting of the Lawn Co-Chairs