Tomorrow is Election Day. I strongly urge you to take the time to exercise your civic right and cast your vote for candidates of your choice. Please read more details below from Student Council regarding transportation options and polling locations.
Allen W. Groves
University Dean of Students
Tomorrow, November 6, is Election Day in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you are registered to vote in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area, you will vote tomorrow at locations on and around Grounds. Below is some important information to keep in mind as you make your plan to vote.
Polling locations across the state are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. You must be in line at the correct polling location by 7 p.m. in order to be able to vote. You must vote in the precinct in which you are registered. UVA students vote at six different polling locations around Charlottesville, so please double check your polling location using the Virginia Department of Elections website.
In order to vote, you must show a Virginia-government issued photo ID.You may use your UVA student ID or Virginia driver's license. For a complete list of acceptable forms of ID, please consult the Virginia Department of Elections website.
UVA students have many options for free, nonpartisan transportation to polling locations. All options are outlined on the University Transportation website. General transportation options include:
- SafeRide Van Shuttles from UVA Central Grounds to Johnson Elementary and Buford Middle School Polling Locations: Tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Vans will pick up riders from both Thornton Hall and JPA westbound at Shamrock Road. Please note that you may not request SafeRide vans by phone or the mobile app; vans will only pick up from Thornton Hall and Shamrock Road.
- CAR2Vote Shuttles from behind the Comm School to all other Polling Locations: CAR2Vote is an independent, nonpartisan service providing free rides to the polls for voters in Central Virginia. CAR2Vote shuttles will be available on Ruppell Drive (the cul de sac behind the Commerce School) tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. They will transport students to any and all other polling locations in the area. You may also request a ride from CAR2Vote on their website or by calling 434-260-1547.
Be prepared for Election Day by making a plan to vote. UVa Student Council has developed a useful tool for making your plan to vote that takes just 90 seconds to complete.
Please exercise your right to vote tomorrow! The future of the Commonwealth depends on your political participation. If you have issues or questions on Election Day, the following resources are available to you:
- Virginia Department of Elections: 800-552-9745
- Charlottesville City Office of Voter Registration: 434-970-3250
- Albemarle County Office of Voter Registration: 434-972-4173
Chair, Student Council Legislative Affairs Committee