I recognize that some of you are not yet back in Charlottesville due to a variety of travel complications. I want to emphasize that you should make your personal safety a priority as you consider travelling back to the Grounds. Faculty will be asked to take the weather into account in exercising leniency if classes do proceed tomorrow.
The University continues to monitor weather conditions. As of this afternoon, the Charlottesville area had received approximately four inches of snow. Teams have been working to clear roads and sidewalks. A decision to hold classes tomorrow rests on many factors, including overnight temperatures and any other changing weather or road conditions. This decision likely will not be made until tonight or even very early tomorrow morning. Please check the University’s website for updates.
One further note: The portion of Emmet Street from Sprigg Lane to McCormick Road that was not due to open until tomorrow morning has now reopened. The portion from Ivy Road to Sprigg Lane will remain closed until Jan. 18.
Please stay safe and stay informed as we come back together for a new semester. Important channels for receiving weather-related information are listed below.
Allen W. Groves
University Dean of Students
For weather-related news from the University, please check: