Dear Parents of the Class of 2023:
This is a special time of year as we say goodbye to our graduating students, and at the same time welcome you and your student as the newest members of this community.
We are pleased you have chosen UVA. College represents a major investment of hopes and dreams for your daughter or son. We believe in UVA as a place where young people can come to know themselves, explore the world at large, and chart a path for the future. As our society continues to experience change at an increasingly dizzy pace, we believe in the power and stability of education to provide grounding, purpose, and ultimately wisdom to shape students into citizen-leaders who will meet the challenges of tomorrow.
The past academic year marked the start of an exciting new era in UVA’s history with the arrival of our ninth president, Jim Ryan, on August 1. Since then, several new leaders have joined his team, including J. J. Davis, executive vice president and chief operating officer, and Liz Magill, executive vice president and provost.
For you and your student, Summer Orientation marks the official beginning of your new relationship with UVA. We hope you will participate in the Parent/Guest Orientation program, which runs concurrently with the student program. The parent/guest program will offer special insight into the student experience, the variety of changes your student will undergo in the coming years, and the ways you can best support them.
The deadline to register for Summer Orientation is June 3. Please be sure your student completes the online registration form, where they can sign you up as a guest.
After Orientation, we look forward to your continuing involvement in activities planned especially for parents and family members. Family Weekend, programs and activities in your region sponsored by UVAClubs, athletic events, travel programs, publications, and the University's website all offer avenues for you to be part of the UVA community.
If your student provided your email address on the application for admission, then we will plan to use this address in sending you periodic updates throughout the academic year. These updates usually highlight health and safety issues, remind you of key dates, and summarize other timely topics. Your email address will be used only for communication from my office and other UVA offices interacting with parents. If you want to be certain we have your current email address and other contact information, you can complete a brief online form.
A few other ways to stay in touch as a parent:
- If you would like to receive the UVA Today Daily Report, please subscribe using the online form. This daily (weekday) email will keep you informed about University people and initiatives.
- President Ryan is active on social media. You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- You can always visit the University's emergency home page for general safety information and for frequent updates in times of emergency. In addition, the University maintains an Operations Status Board with information on any schedule changes resulting from inclement weather or other hazard.
- The LiveSafe mobile safety application can be utilized by anyone, including all students and parents, to receive both emergency and non-emergency notifications. Available May 20, the UVA version can be downloaded free by going to the iTunes or Google Play app stores. Once downloaded, go to settings and select Manage Organizations to add UVA. New students and parents will learn more about the app during Summer Orientation.
- UVA Alerts notifies anyone with a virginia.edu email address when the University community faces imminent threat from a hazard. Students can also sign up for text alerts using their computing ID. In addition, they may add parent devices to their accounts. Please make sure your student signs up for this service.
Please mark your calendar for Family Weekend, taking place this year on October 18-20. The weekend includes a football game against Duke on Saturday afternoon. Sign up now to attend Family Weekend, and you will receive a link to purchase discounted tickets to the football game. We also recommend making hotel reservations as soon as possible. The Family Weekend website, www.virginia.edu/familyweekend, will provide more details as further information becomes available.
As parents, you will continue to be vital partners in the educational process throughout the college years. Your influence and guidance will remain strong as your student meets new challenges, grows academically and socially, and develops an expanding sense of independence.
The Orientation & New Student Programs team, as well as representatives from many other UVA offices, look forward to seeing you this summer.
Welcome to the UVA family!
Patricia M. Lampkin
Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer