I hope this finds each of you well as the summer quickly draws to a close. I’m writing today to share some key, time-sensitive information around COVID-19 testing requirements.
If you plan to live or learn on Grounds or in the local Charlottesville/Albemarle County area this fall, you must take a COVID-19 viral PCR test. Your result must be provided to the University prior to your return or prior to the start of classes. You should also self-quarantine to the best of your ability for a full 14 days prior to returning. For more information about quarantining, please see the related FAQ on the Student Return to Grounds website.
Beginning today, you may order a free, mail-in self-test kit from the University’s vendor, Let’s Get Checked:
The University strongly encourages you to order your kit by the end of the day
Wednesday, August 5, so it can be shipped in a timely manner.
You may order after August 5, but the delivery may be delayed.
Schedule for Taking and Returning Your Test Sample
- Undergraduate students in residence halls: seven (7) days prior to move-in.
- Graduate students in residence halls: seven (7) days prior to move-in, but if you are already living in University housing, test and return ASAP.
- Students living off Grounds in Charlottesville or Albemarle County: Test and return sample seven (7) days prior to moving to Charlottesville or Albemarle County. You are required to take and return a test sample even if you will be attending all your classes remotely. If you are already back in Charlottesville or Albemarle County, please test and return ASAP.
- Students living outside Charlottesville or Albemarle County who plan to come to Grounds for learning activities: Test and return sample seven (7) days prior to the first day of class or the first instance of a learning activity, whichever comes first. Learning activities include any in-person activity, such as taking an in-person class, attending office hours, meeting with a student study group, or visiting the library or gym.
Some students will need to follow more specialized instructions for taking the self-test. They include:
- Students under 18 years of age: Due to age restrictions, you will not be able to order a test kit through the above website. Administration of your Let’s Get Checked test kit requires parental consent and a proctored televisit, which will be conducted under the supervision of a University health professional. You will receive a follow-up email with further instructions.
- Students coming from outside the United States: Test kits cannot be shipped internationally. Please continue to use the International Studies Office as your gateway to the University. ISO will provide you with instructions on how to obtain your test kit once you arrive in the U.S. and begin your 14-day quarantine.
- Students participating in early arrival University-sponsored programs. If you are part of an early arrival program, your school or program has communicated with you about testing. You do not need to order a test kit.
If you have questions, please see the Student Return to Grounds FAQs, or contact the call center at ReturntoGrounds@virginia.edu. You will likely receive a more timely response through email, but you may also call 833-454-6902 (domestic); or +1-202-800-2408 (international).
Thank you for complying with this important requirement based on your plans for the fall.
Allen W. Groves
University Dean of Students