Dear New or Returning Student:
In a few short weeks, we will begin a new academic year. As part of your preparation, both new and returning students must complete one or more items related to community policies and standards.
First, a few important points:
- Given the unique semester we are about to start in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you will be asked to complete several other important tasks in the next few weeks. I urge you to start now on these modules and complete them as soon as possible.
- If you go to your Student Center in the Student Information System (SIS), you will see the items you need to complete under your To Do List.
- Requirements will vary for each of you. Below are the items you may see in your To Do List. If you do not see any items, please see the explanation below.*
- The Not on Our Grounds module, usually required of many students this time of year, is being revised to reflect policy changes and will be sent to you this fall. It covers the University's Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence.
Annual Student Update Form - Required of ALL Students
Please fully complete this form, which requests six types of information: your tax dependency status, criminal history disclosure, acknowledgment of financial responsibilities, communication details, emergency contact information, and legacy contact for digital assets.
Completion time: 10 minutes.
This module helps clarify personal choices about drinking habits and attitudes. Alcohol-Wise is tailored for each user and provides access to University resources. Participants receive confidential, personalized feedback that compares personal alcohol use to University-wide student norms.
UVA strives to create a community in which all students make legal, educated decisions about alcohol, while not jeopardizing their academic goals, their safety, or the safety of others.
Alcohol-Wise 21+ is a briefer version designed for graduate and professional students. The material may prove useful if you teach or mentor undergraduate students.
Even if you do not drink alcoholic beverages, both versions of this module will provide information to help you learn how to deal with others who are disruptive or in danger.
Your responses to these requirements are completely confidential. Both versions of Alcohol-Wise are handled by a third party not affiliated with the University. I urge you to be candid in your survey answers so you may receive accurate feedback.
Completion time: 60 minutes for Alcohol-Wise; 15 minutes for Alcohol-Wise 21+.
The Honor module will help you understand the Honor System at UVA and what is expected of you in terms of academic and personal integrity in a community of trust. This module will appear in your SIS To Do List once you are registered for classes.
Completion time: 15 minutes.
The Record: Learn about Important UVA Policies
The University publishes an online document, The Record, which summarizes policies and information pertaining to student and academic life. Each student is responsible for being familiar with these policies and abiding by them. The Record serves as the University's student handbook.
Two versions are available: The Undergraduate Record and The Graduate Record. Depending on your status, please take some time to read through the version applicable to you, with particular attention to the University Regulations (academic and nonacademic) section. You will find not only policies but also a range of helpful information that you may want to consult periodically in your time as a student.
As you work on each module, you may log in and out, if needed, to save your progress. I hope you will take the time to proceed through each module with the care and attention required. The final deadline to complete each item is September 15, 2020. If you fail to do so, you will be blocked from registration for future classes. I respectfully ask that you make completion of these items a priority.
These requirements enable everyone to prepare for a successful new academic year. In the community of trust and self-governance that characterizes UVA, your individual commitment can help bring about positive change.
Thank you for your prompt attention to these requirements.
Allen W. Groves
University Dean of Students
* If you do not see any items in your SIS To List, then you have no requirements to complete, likely as a result of your student classification. The University still encourages you to be familiar with the topics covered through the above requirements. To do so, please review the following websites: