As a student who is not fully vaccinated for COVID-19, you are required to participate in prevalence testing at least once each business week, defined as Monday-Friday. Information about this requirement was included in your exemption or temporary waiver form.
As of August 23, failure to comply with the prevalence testing requirement will result in consequences ranging from a warning up to interim suspension. More information is below.
Instructions: Ongoing Prevalence Testing
- You must participate in prevalence testing at least once each business week, defined as Monday-Friday.
- Testing through UVA’s BeSafe program (saliva) offers the most convenient option for testing, with accessible locations and hours for testing at no cost. Results will be uploaded automatically to your HealthyHoos patient portal and do not require a separate upload on your part.
- If your test is positive, you will be contacted by a Student Health and Wellness (SHW) staff member; you should self-isolate until you receive further instructions. Please make sure to answer all incoming calls to avoid delay.
- If your test is negative, you will receive a message through the HealthyHoos patient portal.
- Please schedule your future BeSafe testing appointments now for the fall semester by going to the website. Peak testing times occur on Mondays 8-11 a.m.; we recommend you consider an alternate time to make your visit as efficient as possible. Please note that BeSafe does not offer weekend testing for students, and sites are closed on University holidays (such as Labor Day).
- If you are not in the Charlottesville area when you are due to test, you are responsible for obtaining a PCR test from another source (e.g., pharmacy, lab, medical office) and uploading the result to HealthyHoos.
- You may not obtain this testing through SHW.
- If your test result from another provider is positive, please call SHW at 434-924-5362 or schedule a "COVID Symptoms" appointment online using HealthyHoos to report the positive test, check on your health, and review next steps before returning to Grounds.
- Please do not upload a positive test result to HealthyHoos without calling SHW or scheduling an “COVID Questions” appointment.
- Consequences for not complying with this requirement are cumulative and increase in severity. For every testing week missed, consequences are:
- First: Warning
- Second: Notification to your school
- Third: Loss of access to University-protected networks and University resources until testing is completed
- Fourth: Students who miss four or more weeks of testing will continue to have their NetBadge access (or local equivalent) disabled and be subject to disciplinary action, including interim suspension, which could result in the forfeit of the entire semester and all associated tuition and fees.
- PLEASE NOTE that COVID-19 testing at SHW is reserved for symptomatic students.
COVID-19 Vaccine & Allergy Concerns
If you are considering getting the vaccine, but have concerns about allergies or other health concerns, please review this PDF. You may make an appointment with one of the Medical Services providers at SHW if you would like to discuss or review vaccine information in more detail.
If you have questions, please contact UVA’s Coronavirus call center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 833-454-6902 (domestic) or +1-202-800-2408 (international).
Thank you for your prompt attention to this required public health measure.
Julie I. Caruccio
Interim University Dean of Students