Advance planning will be important this year if you are interested in obtaining a COVID-19 test before leaving for the Thanksgiving or Winter Break. Please make note of the below guidance. More detailed information is available in the Preparing for Travel infographic.
Additionally, we encourage you to get a flu shot this year to protect yourself, friends, classmates, and family members from becoming ill. It takes about two weeks after receiving the flu vaccine to get the full immunity benefit, so aim to get your shot as soon as possible. Student Health and Wellness Pharmacy is offering walk-in appointments on certain days between now and early November. For more information, see below and check the SHW Flu Shots webpage.
TRAVEL PREPARATIONS AND COVID-19
Meeting Requirements for Air Travel
- Plan ahead. Check your airline’s specific requirements since carriers vary in terms of type of test required and timing.
- UVA BeSafe is unable to offer travel testing outside of the normal saliva testing. Test results for travel are NOT guaranteed.
- Community resources for possible travel testing include:
- Be prepared for other requests, such as a letter of recovery or proof of vaccination. See the infographic for more details.
Proactive Testing Prior to Being with Family or Friends
If you are traveling and not flying, but still want to ensure a negative test before gathering with friends or family, BeSafe is a great option to use. Keep in mind:
- All BeSafe sites will close Tuesday, Nov. 23, at 4:30 p.m.
- All samples submitted on Nov. 23 will be processed by Nov. 24.
- Emmet-Ivy Garage site will reopen Monday, Nov. 29, at 8 a.m.
- All testing will be at Emmet-Ivy Garage from Nov. 29 until the start of the spring semester (no Scott Stadium collection).
- More details.
If You Receive a Positive Test Result Outside UVA
As a reminder, if you are traveling and obtain a positive COVID-19 test result from outside UVA systems, please upload the positive test result to HealthyHoos AND schedule a "COVID Questions" appointment online by using the HealthyHoos patient portal or call Student Health & Wellness at 434-924-5362. Please do not upload a positive test result to HealthyHoos without also scheduling a “COVID Questions” appointment.
Airport Transportation Available for Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks
Student Council’s Airbus program will be offering Thanksgiving and Winter Break bus service from UVA to Washington Dulles International Airport (and potentially to Richmond Airport, depending on demand). The Thanksgiving service will run on Wednesday, Nov. 24, while the Winter Break service will tentatively run on Sunday and Friday, Dec. 12 and 17. All three bus services are expected to leave at 7:30 a.m. from the UVA Grounds. The tickets are $10 per person. Watch for more information coming soon from Student Council.
Flu Shot Clinics at the Student Health and Wellness (SHW) Pharmacy
Get your flu shot at the SHW Pharmacy, on the first floor in the new SHW building at 550 Brandon Ave! Walk-ins are welcome on Oct. 26, 27, and Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Be sure to bring your insurance information – flu shots are usually $0 with insurance. Without insurance, the cost is $20. Wear short sleeves or layers, and if you are feeling sick, stay home and choose a different day to get vaccinated. Visit the SHW Flu Shots webpage to learn about additional options for getting the flu shot.
Thank you for taking steps now to prepare for travel and to stay healthy in coming months.
Julie I. Caruccio
Interim Dean of Students